Hi parents! Are you looking for a fun way to support your swimmers and the team this summer? If you’re tired of timing or other volunteer duties, I recommend that you consider helping out as an official. The role of an official gives you front-row access to every race and we can’t run a swim meet without them.
Who makes a good official?
- Someone who swam competitively (helps, but not required)
- Someone who believes in fair competition; there are rules and the officials are responsible for enforcing them
- You can handle the rare coach or parent voicing their displeasure with your disqualification (DQ) call
- White shirt
- White shorts/skirt
- Nametag (will be ordered by the league)
- Help officiate at all home meets
- Help officiate at away meets (typically 2-3 per team is helpful)
- If in doubt on any DQ call, the benefit goes to the swimmer (no call)
- Have fun!
If you are interested, please refer to the training times & locations below. New officials must attend one of the classroom training sessions (4/29, 5/20 or 5/23) and the in-water demo on 5/23. After the training, you will shadow a veteran official for two meets (intrasquad meets count).
- Sunday, 4/29 @ 2:30pm Green Mountain Rec Center (training)
- Sunday, 5/20 @ 4:30pm Green Mountain Rec Center (training)
- Wednesday, 5/23 @ 6pm (training) and 7pm (in-water demo) Applewood Knolls
- Sunday, 6/1 @ 2:30pm Green Mountain Rec Center (training; returning officials only)