For the last few years our Gator swimmers have participated in the swim buddy program (Big Buddy/Little Buddy). This program was created by a previous swim coach in an effort to help the Junior Gators transition into becoming the sport of swimming and to help them navigate swim meets. This also provides our older Gators some responsibility by helping assist and support the younger swimmers. The program also fosters team spirit, family and camaraderie by connecting the older swimmers with the younger ones. Big buddies are generally 13&older while Little buddies are 12&under. This partnership should focus on team unity, spirit and sportsmanship. The buddy program is not about elaborate gifts-it is about being a supportive teammate!
Responsibilities of buddies include but are not limited to:
- meeting your buddy and introducing yourself
- greet your buddy at each meet
- Big buddies help Little buddies at meets with event numbers
- Create something for your buddy: write a note, draw a picture, make a friendship bracelet
- CHEER, CHEER, CHEER, CHEER and CHEER!!!
- Congratulate your buddy after their swim
We would love to see 100% participation in this program but this is completely voluntary. We need to know by the end of the week if you would like to be a Big/Little swim buddy. Please tell the coaches during practice this week if you want to participate (or if you don’t). Once we get all these names we will get swimmers matched up and these will be posted.
Please let us know if you have any questions about this.